Saturday, December 22, 2007

Enjoying down time before Christmas


My husband and children are now off work/school for Christmas. We are enjoying the laid back life. This morning my husband and I awoke to the sound of peace and quiet. We didn't get out of bed to nearly 8 AM. The children slept for a little while still after we awoke. Later in the AM I dabbled with a recipe called "Sweet Tortilla Snowflakes". I wasn't sure how good they would be, I was glad I could make them one at a time to find out. They were interesting, very messy though because of the powdered sugar. Basically you cut the tortilla like snowflakes, we had a lot of fun with this. You then bake them at 350 for 5 minutes on a slightly greased cookie sheet. Once they are done you place chocolate chips random all over and melt them for about a minute in the oven. Then you spread the chocolate and let them cool in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Next you sprinkle with confectioners sugar. This led to a snowflake making party with paper. My children and I went to town making snowflakes. See the picture above to see what fun we had. My son who is only 5 did so awesome! You'd be surprised as to which ones he did. My daughter made the most beautiful one. She and I differ when it comes to the thought we put into things. She just cut away and came up with some truly beautiful snowflakes. I was trying to figure out how to make points, try to hard.... We had so much fun making snowflakes. We are so enjoying this time together. All the stresses of life has melted away and we are just enjoying hanging out not having any agenda to follow.

Yesterday we went to see the movie, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. It was actually a special showing put on by our Realtor at the movie theater. For the admission they were collecting canned food to benefit a cause and each of us brought non-perishable items to donate. We are trying to incorporate giving not just receiving this time of year as often as possible. I don't want my children to get caught up in only thinking of what they will gain and receive but what they can give and what a beautiful feeling they can get from giving to others. The movie was really cute. The meaning I got out of it was to not stop being a kid at heart because then we loose the core of who we are and what we're meant to be and do. It was a really sweet movie with Dustin Hoffman and Jason Bateman. Enjoy the season and take time out to relax and be at peace. Thank you so much Jesus for the gift of your life and love that you've given to us. All the Glory to you!

1 comment:

Donetta said...

Hi I love the snow flakes. Merry Christmas! I do hope this finds you well. My kids are off too until Thru the 3rd. Maybe we can get together?