Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ever had a day like this?

Last week I had one of those Candid Camera moments. You know when you asked is this for real? I had dropped something off to my husband at work. He works near a Post Office and my Mom needed some stamps. I had almost an hour until my son needed to be picked up from school. I thought I'll just go into the Post Office real quick. I wanted to go to the craft store before I picked him up. I went to the stamp machine thinking it would be quicker. I had the exact change for a book of stamps. I proceeded to take my money out of my wallet. In the process I accidentally tore the $5 bill I was taking out (must have been torn previously?) I thought Utoh will the picky machine take my torn bill? Sure why not I can make it work. It didn't like my torn $5 bill very much. I think it almost tore the end totally off. It repeatedly spit it out, but I was determined to keep putting it in. Finally alas it must of sensed my frustration and it sucked it in and didn't spit it out YEAH victory. Then there was the other $3.20 to go. So the first 2 bills go in fine, eventually the 3rd one did too after much frustration and my banging on the wall for someone to please help me with this machine. Then there was the matter of the last 20 cents. In no combination would it accept any more of my money not a quarter not 2 dimes not a nickel, nothing! I didn't have another dollar bill to try and I wasn't putting a $20 in there. The machine starts beeping at me telling me if I don't ask for more time I'll loose it all. Mind you this isn't the first time it's told me this. I walk around, keeping a close eye on the machine, looking for a door to knock on, rather than a wall. I find a door, apparently the only activity at the door is on Saturdays, this wasn't one of those days. I thought those post people are in there somewhere I just know it, I can hear them. I check on the machine making sure I appease it. Then I poke my head into the area where the line is. Everyone looked pretty busy, nobody was looking my way. Back to the machine, press the yes I want more time button. Then I go back in where the line is and politely interrupt, the nice customer, rather than the Postal employee offered a $1 that I could try to appease the machine. I put the $1, I think it spit it out, it had to get one more crack at me. Then finally it took the money and gave me the book of stamps I had sought after for 15 minutes (I couldn't be bothered waiting in line) It did however refuse to give me the 80 cents change back Urgggggghhhhhh :) Once the woman who had lent me the $1 came out I had counted out all my pennies and dimes and nickels and quarters to give her the exact dollar back. She said never mind, just laundry money, I appreciated her kindness. I guess I have a bit of a stuborn streek you think? One of those days..........

1 comment:

Donetta said...

Oh the kindness of strangers:)