Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Our School has been a blessing

My daughter and son have now been in school for just over a month. Both are loving school and doing well. I couldn't be blessed with a better teacher for my little guy. His teacher is a Christian and does so well with 21- 4 year olds! She has a full time aide that works with her as well. These ladies know how to handle a group of little ones so well. We are so blessed for this first school experience. My daughter's teacher is not your normal stereo typical teacher. She is very out of the ordinary, I'm sure her class will be too. She reminds me of the "Magic School Bus" teacher if you are familiar with those books. My daughter likes her teacher and for that I am grateful.
I am a part of a Moms in Touch International group which meets once a week, to pray for our particular school. Quite a few of the schools have a MITI group in place, it's just a matter of going to the web site to see if your child's school has on in place. Their web site is: www.MomsInTouch.org if anyone is interested in getting information. It brings me great peace knowing that I can meet with other Christian Moms that are also praying for their children and our school and it's staff. So many that have been involved with our school have noticed the difference. One teacher pointed out why, because Moms met to pray for our school. I am so thankful for God's hand on our school.
I have been praying about school for next year. My little guy is in a Early Learners K-4 1/2 a day now. Next year he will go to K-5. My daughter will go to Jr. High. I had thought I wanted my son to go to a Christian School. As much as I know a Christian School can benefit him, this school is also doing so in other ways. Our school is not your average public school. They do not do worksheet busy work, they do not follow the norm. They are a pioneer school that does things different. They also place strong emphasis on reading and writing. Each classroom has a couch and a comfy area where the kids go to have reading group. They probe deeply into books and into the thoughts of the author. I just can't say enough about the school. I am happy with it so my son may very well remain. Thankfully we have 1/2 and full day K-5 available next year. I have asked his teacher her opinion of the 1/2 verses full day. I wanted to only do 1/2 day, I thought surely from a teachers viewpoint she would have strongly encouraged full day. I was excited to hear that she feels a child has no business in school full day at that age. Obviously if it is possible, she herself has a K-5 child that must attend all day due to her schedule. She feels they should be running and playing and having a good time. I tend to agree with that, I just needed to know that he wouldn't be at a disadvantage academically to his peers. I am reassured of my choice. I pray for God's provision to make that possible!
My daughter is another story, she will be going from this wonderful school into the Lion's Den of Jr. High. No seriously, that's just my opinion as her Mom :) I have heard positive stories of the Jr. High that we are zoned for. They are begining to out weigh the negative. The more I put myself out there and find others in my similar situation, the more encouraged I am. My daughter wants to go to the school she is zoned for as well. I will have to check into it to see if there is a MITI group for that school. If not, I guess I will have to start one! I have to continue to remind myself that God loves these little ones even more than I do, which I can't comprehend. He has His hand on them and is paving the way. I continue to pray and he is keeping them in His care always. Whenever certain things happen that I don't think would be the way I'd like them, I think but God I prayed for this...... He doesn't always answer the way we want Him to. His ways are definately above ours. I have stories of how he has answered prayers already this school year in a much cooler way than I could come up with!

1 comment:

Donetta said...

I am glad that it is going well for Matthew. I know that the years are flying by.
I sounds like a wonderful group of women to get together.
May you weekend be delightful.