Sunday, June 15, 2008

New word, Petrous Apicitis

I had my MRI done on Tuesday of this past week. On Thursday I received the results of the MRI. I was a little freaked out because my Doctor's office called and asked if I could come in for my results. For about 4 hours the thoughts that went through my mind, let me tell you, God help me! My appointment was early afternoon, my Doctor came into the room and proceeded to tell me that what they suspected I had was pretty rare. She said the Radiologist seemed to feel it was either "Petrous Apicitis" or a Cyst. The Petrous Apicitis being the one they felt should be treated as if I had it first. What on earth is that? My Doctor even had a hard time with it, I'm guessing she's never encountered it before. She attempted to explain it to me the best she could. I've copied some info. taken from the Internet here:

It is an infection of petrous apex (the top of the petrous bone). The petrous bone is a bone in the skull. The petrous portion of the temporal bone lies in a complicated anatomic position and has critical relationships to important neural and vascular structures.

Before the advent of Antibiotics in the 1940s, infections of the petrous apex, termed petrous apicitis, commonly progressed to meningitis, brain abscess, cavernous sinus thrombosis, and death. Since the introduction of Antibiotics, the prevalence of such serious complications has been drastically reduced.

I am now on Antibiotics for 3 weeks, twice a day. The hope is that if I do have this infection, that the Antibiotics will take care of it. Otherwise we are talking draining.... I've been referred to an ENT Doctor (Ear, Nose, Throat) This is connected to middle ear infections apparently. Prayers that the antibiotics do what we are intending, would be greatly appreciated. I am continuing with my Physical Therapy twice a week. My only symptom still remains to be minor dizziness while laying flat, and I mean no pillow flat on my back and turning my head to the left. Thankfully I'm not usually in that position. I'm just so glad I felt prompted to go in to see my Doctor!

3 comments:

believer said...

My father-in-law is currently being treated for Petrous Apicitis. He has had a severe head-ache for 6 weeks with no diagnosis from various doctors. On Wed. his entire left side of his face went numb and slack. We thought he had had an anurism or a stroke. He had the surgery Friday night on his left ear. Praise the Lord, yesterday sensation was starting to return to his face and he seems to be on the road to recovery. He is still in ICU but is hoping to get in a regular room today. You are lucky you found a doctor who could diagnose and treat at an earlier stage of this disease. He has been to several doctors over the last six weeks with no answers.

Anonymous said...

I have just come home from 10 days in the hospital, conferences with many doctors who finally diagnosed Petrous Apicitis. After trial of many antibiotics we finally found 1 that seems to be working. I started feeling ill 3 weeks ago. Headache behind left eye which led to left side facial paralysis, and the look of a stroke...this lasted until yesterday. I was extremely out of balance and did not have full speech. I now will be on antibiotics 3 times a day for 5 weeks...now at home with a home nurse and a PICC line to do my own meds. Am so grateful the Lord gave the DRS wisdom and pray I will not have to have surs

Photo Princess said...

Anonymous, I'm so sorry to hear about your journey with Petrous Apicitis. I will lift you up in prayer for your recovery. Thank you for sharing this with me. My diagnois later ended up being a Cyst rather than the Petrous Apicitis. At my last visit to the Doctor he had stated we would just watch it. As long as it did not grown and I didn't start having headaches we would just keep an eye on it. I am going back to him in a month for my 6 month check. I'm praying it is gone and this is over. I will pray for recovery for you. God is with you.