Thursday, June 5, 2008

Vestibular Rehabilitation Therapy

A couple of years back I had what was thought to be "Labyrinthitis". We had gone camping in the high country and I woke up to find I was unable to focus my eyes. I felt like a google eyed doll. I woke my husband and told him I needed him to call for the paramedics. I couldn't stand up I was so dizzy and nauseous it was a horrible experience. The paramedics came and I was barely able to get up onto the gurney to take me to the nearby hospital. I had to lay on my right side to avoid a terrible sense that I would throw up. The details that follow are pretty much a blur other than I heard they did an MRI and found nothing. I was given medication to control the nausea.... I was released later that day and we headed back home, I left most of the way. When I went to see my Doctor she said she'd thought I had Labyrinthitis. It is an inner ear infection which can cause vertigo symptoms. It seems in the spring when my seasonal allergies are at their finest, I would be able to put my self in a particular position that could cause slight dizziness. Thankfully it's not a position I usually find myself in. After dealing with this for a couple of years and thinking it just was the residual effects of the Labyrinthitis, or something aggravated by the seasonal allergies, I decided to follow up with my Doctor. She prescribed Vestibular rehabilitation therapy. Yesterday was day one where I met with a Physical Therapist. God is so awesome putting me in touch with just the right people. She told me that she knew my Doctor, she is also her Doctor as well as attending the same Church. Now mind you I basically pulled this place out of a hat so to speak. I had a bunch of names and locations and picked this place myself at the suggestion of the Therapy from my Doctor. She had me sit on a table and quickly pulled be down and flipped me over on my back telling me to look at her so she could watch my eyes. She did that a couple of times in an attempt to get the crystals in the ear that have become dislocated back to where they should be. Oh now that makes sense that is what causes the dizziness. She also had me bounce a giant ball and watch it go up and down. Then I had to stand on one leg and look from side to side, you try that! I couldn't balance very well. There was a huge guy behind waiting for me to fall over, never did though. Then I had to lay down and keep turning my head to the left (that is the side giving me trouble) Praise GOD! I didn't feel dizzy, during the whole process it lessened and lessened. Normally laying flat on my back and turning my head to the left was the position where I would feel slightly dizzy. I go back again next week a couple of times and we'll see what happens. For me it should clear up by the sound of things, praise GOD. I am going for an MRI next week to make sure all is normal with my ear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

am sure .. your MRI scan 'll look clean .. PRAISE GOD .. His mercies endureth FOREVER !!!!

Photo Princess said...

Thank you Steve! Yes they do AMEN
all is well with my health Praise GOD!