Saturday, November 17, 2007

My son's Birthday party preparations



I am having so much fun planning my son's 5th Birthday! He wanted a "Spy/Detective" party so I took that and I'm running with it. I must admit our dear friends Lisa & Steve have been an inspiration. They are both so creative in this way also. Our home will be decorated with the usual streamers and all, but we'll also have "crime scene tape" and chalk outlines and footprints :) I made up a Spy ID card, upon arrival to our house we will have a table set up by the front door and each child will come up with their "code name". They will then be fingerprinted and get their ID photo taken with their newly acquired Fedora hat. Unfortunately I couldn't find 12 trench coats cheep :) My daughter has volunteered to handle the check in table. My husband will be the photographer. Once all agents are welcomed and checked in, we'll begin their "Spy training". They will come into our home while all kinds of detective music is playing, such as spy kids, mission impossible, you get the idea. Each training session they complete (games) they will get a star on their ID card. We will be playing lots of games. We will seek out and defuse a bomb (aka kitchen timer) They will test their detective skills by trying to figure out, by questioning other "agents", what animal they are, which will be taped on their back. We will show them some items then take them away and see what they can remember of what they saw. We'll play eye witness and have someone run through the house and commit a crime and they will figure out what happened. My son really likes Pinatas but I don't want to spend $30 more for that. I may come up with a creative idea along those lines. I might make something that can work, I have an idea.....For the "cake" I actually bought a couple of boxes of ding dongs. They are round chocolate covered cakes for those that don't know. I'm going to put a black fork in each one which will be a magnifying glass handle and the ding dong is the magnifying glass. I'm going to decorate each one with blue icing to look like glass. I will lay them all out and on each it will spell out Happy Birthday and my son's name with candles. On that note, check out my daughter's cake I made above. Since my son has tree nut allergies, I make our Birthday cakes. I can't decorate a cake quite as good as Donetta over at "A Life Uncommon" but I can be creative :) My daughter doesn't like Chocolate, go figure? Hopefully just a faze :) So I did white icing and the decorations are fruit roll yogos and round yogos (found in the fruit snack area of the grocery store) Looks pretty good doesn't it ;) Back to the Detective party, at the end of the party our agents will need to seek out their "top secret" spy/detective kits, since they will have then completed all of their training. See the photo of the envelopes as well as the napkins & plates. Someone will have taken the envelopes and they must be found. That will be their "goody" bags, or in this "case" no pun intended ;), their goody envelopes. I am lettering each one myself with stencils. Which by the way were not easy to find! I had some about 20 years ago that would have been perfect. Each goodie envelope will have a disguise (glasses, nose & moustache) some crime scene tape gum, a magnifying glass, a rubber bracelet with detective says on it, a mini flashlight and of course they will take home their Fedora hats. I think it will be lots of fun. We have mostly boys invited with a few girls. My son is to funny, he has issues with girls if they wear nail polish or necklaces. It's ok for Mom and sister but not girls his age :) He is no longer going to marry 2 girls because of this, so he says. One is still on the Birthday list but the other is history, for now. I know this to shall pass, it's his way of dealing with girls growing up. I'll have to post more pictures after the fact. Looking forward, and 1 week and a day away :o better get busy, BYE for now (over and out)

2 comments:

Donetta said...

Oh you are so creative!

Mommybefit said...

My 5yr old son and I were searching online for his very own 6bday party that he had the option to have anywhere locally. He did know he wanted a spy theme and he never let up on it....then we came to your fabulous, creative and detailed spy/detective party. He was so excited for two hours prior to bed time. So we are on our way to our very own home spy/detective party. I have a thrilled little boy and I thank you for your kind sharing of your wonderful party ideas!