Sunday, March 30, 2008

Saturday out and about

My sweet son, who actually does have 2 legs :)

Tempe Art Festival

My daughter and her friend


My son's brief career as a street performer :)
Daisy Mountain Railroad

Yesterday we went to the Tempe Art Festival. My daughter had a friend that came with us, she enjoyed having a friend to hang out with, I think it made it more fun for her. The festival was along a road that goes through a downtown shopping area. For a good part it was shaded, but it was a day in the 80's, already. It was a little on the toasty side in the sun. We walked around for several hours. I think it was inspiring to be there, seeing all that talent. Both my husband and I were inspired. He is interested in the metal type art, being a sheet metal mechanic and natural artist. I must also credit him for all of the pictures in this post, except the one of the girls, I took that one. I didn't bring my camera on this outing. My son was a volunteer that took part in a street performers act. He was a juggler with a dog as part of his show and needed some little volunteers. His dog jumped over the kids :) Of the Art Show one of my favorites was a contemporary artist that used crystals in her work. I wasn't aware that they were swarvoski crystal until I asked more about the paintings. The Artist used mixed medium to make some really creative unique paintings. She is actually from Florida, which I didn't find out until I checked out her website. We moved to AZ from FL almost 10 years ago. If you are interested in checking it out, her site is: www.artbypj.com My favorite was one called shared hearts. She also does some really pretty high heel shoes too.

After the Art Festival we went to the town of Anthem which is supposed to be "the perfect place for families" if you work anywhere near this oasis in the desert and can actually live there. It's in the middle of nowhere if you ask me. Once you are there though, it is well equip to keep you happy. They have the most amazing kid park I've ever seen! It is like a kid park paradise. The playground equipment was like no other I'd seen. There were also plenty of basketball courts and little fishing ponds etc... We took a ride on the Daisy Mountain railroad and the kids played in the play area.

After we left the park we caught a quick bite to eat before making the journey back to our familiar civilization. While we were finishing our dinner I looked over at a family sitting nearby, I thought to myself that I knew the woman from High School! Mind you we're talking 25 years ago now. I told my husband I was 99% sure it was her. Her name totally escaped me. I thought for a minute, what if it wasn't? total embarrassment it would surely be. My husband encouraged me to say something to her, why pass up the chance, how bizarre would it be. I went to High School in Florida and we were in the middle of nowhere in AZ! These things happen to me though. I have a list of questions for God when I see Him :) Mind you I had also run in to the alleged person at a Mom's group at the Church we were attending when my daughter was little. So you're wondering what the outcome of that was aren't you? Well I casually walked over to the trash can to throw out some trash, had to have a reason for getting up right. I needed some time to think. I thought what do I say? I'm interrupting their dinner, what if it isn't her? Oh well take a chance, if not I'm sure she won't mind the interruption right. So I said would you by chance be from Florida? YES! Did you go to, and I said the High School I graduated from.... YES! It was her and once she reminded me of her name that came back to me to. They live up there now, have for 5 years. They have been in AZ for 12 years. Small world isn't it? Of all the places and times to run into someone from your past.....It was a very nice day, enjoyed by all.

1 comment:

Donetta said...

Sounds like you all had a great time. I love how you do fun things together. Once settled I think I will get a hold of your calender :)