Friday, March 21, 2008

A Trip to the Art Museum


Sweeping Clouds by Ed Mell



Gift Bearers by Philip C. Curtis


Mountain Village by Philip C. Curtis




On Tuesday afternoon we went to the Phoenix Art Museum. From 3-9 PM most of the museum is available to see for free. We really enjoyed walking around and looking at all the beautiful works of art. We commented on what our favorites were. I especially loved the older European work done on wood. There was a room where the kids could touch a painting to feel the texture. They could also do other hands on things.

My children loved the firefly room. My son wanted to go in twice. It was a dark room only illuminated by tiny lights hanging from the ceiling. The walls appeared to be mirrored. The floor may have also been or might have just be some kind of shiny surface. When you first walked in the lights appeared to be everywhere and the floor seemed to have no bottom. I entered with caution a bit not letting my mind accept that I wasn't going to fall down.

An artist I had never heard of was Philip C. Curtis apparently he was from Arizona and did Surrealist and Abstract work. His work was interesting having a whole room dedicated to his art.

No comments: