Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Art Masterpiece Today






Today for Art Masterpiece at school I brought in this painting by Eugene Delacroix. It's called Frightened Horse. The kids had a lot to say about this painting, there was a lot of observation in this. We talked about what they thought was happening in the picture and the repetitive curves in the painting. Some thought there may be water in the background and that waves were crashing and there was thunder and lightning which was frightening the horse. Personally I think the horse had a pretty crazy look in his eyes. I'm hoping the horse lived through this because he looks very stressed out, he's thrashing around (I know it's just a painting.....)

Delacroix was born in the late 1700's and died in the mid 1800's. He was born near Paris and both of his parents died when he was 16. He was destined for a musical career, but his Uncle saw some of his sketches and encouraged him in Art. His fame began at age 24, his style was Romanticism which often is emotion provoking and his subjects were either political, historical, but often dramatic. He was inspired by poetry and literature of Shakespeare. His work inspired the Impressionists that came after him.

After I was finished I told the kids that a generous donor was paying for them to go to Paris when our study was finished (April Fools!) wish it was true though. Their teacher told them that they had to go for Jr. High shots today, new requirements. I was in the classroom at the time and immediately wondered why I hadn't been notified (she got me too) I thought nobody is giving my daughter shots without my permission, she was so serious, who knew. She let me in on it. Later on she walked the class to the nurse. Then they found out that it was just an April fools prank.

No comments: