Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Renaissance Festival











We went to the Renaissance Festival yesterday. Our weather was in the lower 70's. It was the perfect day to do something outdoors. Even though that sounds perfect, the sun get's pretty hot in these parts. The occassional refuge of the shade was nice. It's always a place where you never know what you'll see. The people that choose to make the Renaissance their living as well as the ones that choose to do so one weekend out of the year, are always interesting to observe. Some not appropriate for the children's eyes. We just direct the children in the way we want them to go and what they'll see. Not all there was appropriate but it was interesting for them. My daughter's first Renaissance Festival was when she was only about 5 or 6 months old. I think for my son it wasn't until he was 3. We bought her an adorable pink satin hat and we carried her around in our backpack carrier back then. A couple years ago was the first time she'd been back to one. She got a pretty princess crown that day. This go around I think my son had a bit more fun. He like looking at Pirate stuff and he enjoyed a ride in a hamock/chair swing. The sword swallowing guy hopefully didn't encourage him to try anything at home. I think in the end my daughter enjoyed it more than she was willing to admit. I admired this "Fairy-like" lady and her "Robin Hoodish" looking significant other. I should have just gone up to them and told them so, rather than stalking them with my telephoto zoom lens. Don't know why I didn't? Then I could have actually gotten a picture of them frontal, see their pic above. They did not work at the Renaissance but rather appeared to be dressed in the moment as many were. I'd really like to do that sometime. For those of you who know my husband, can you just see him now? :) Maybe not quite the Robin Hood type, but maybe more like a knight :) One of the last things we did was to watch the jousting. The "King & Queen" made their entrance and then it began. It was kinda corny but fun to watch. I have not done anything with the photos yet to touch them up in any way. I think it could be fun to play around with a couple in Photoshop. When I get around to it, I'll have to do that and post them.

1 comment:

Donetta said...

Wow you sure had a nice day for it.