Friday, February 1, 2008

Renoir is my next Artist


I'm just Loving learning more about these Artists and their paintings! My next Artist is Renoir and the painting is called "Monet painting in His Garden at Argenteuil". I thought it would be fun to find out where the original is actually located. It is actually in Hartford, CT. I spent 40 minutes talking with the Librarian's assistant at the museum their the other day. I found out the correct pronunciation for Argenteuil it sounds more like Ar-jen-toy. It might be fun to let the kids have a crack at it. I'd say so far I like this one the best. I am appreciating them all in the process though. This one is just much more pleasing to the eye for me. I like the flowers and Renoir always painting things pleasing to the eye. He was quoted having said there were to many ugly things in the world that they didn't need to be seen in paintings. That not the quote word for word, but the basic meaning. I was happy to see that about 3/4 of the 6th grade class knew who Picasso was. I invite my daughter to critique me later that day each time I've had a presentation. How did I do? Her comments are always encouraging, this past time she said I did better than before :)

I have had thoughts of "what if" regarding the fact that I never became an Art Teacher. I'm not saying it was ok for me to be discouraged by an adult, nor to I suggest anyone do anything less than encourage your child to pursue all they have a passion to do. It may have been fate that I was discouraged from doing so though. I just feel had I become an Art Teacher, it would no longer be as fun having to do it on a daily basis. In college I thought I wanted to pursue Graphic Design. In High School I actually took a course at the vocational school because I couldn't wait. Oh to have that kind of time now, when I'm in school all day and actually think I've got time on my hands I'll go learn some more tonight :) I don't think I ever finished the class though. I loved doodling with letters and making flyers and greeting cards and playing around with typestyles... once I had to do it as class work, it wasn't fun. There was that pressure that just zapped the creativity. Somethings are just meant to be left as a passion you don't get paid for I suppose.

No comments: